Self Assessments allow you to create a quiz with a series of questions and immediate feedback for responses. Question types available are similar to quizzes, but student answers cannot be graded and self-assessment questions do not have a points value or difficulty level indication. Because self-assessments are not tied to grades, the hope is that students will engage in reflective learning and will focus on understanding the course material.
Self-Assessment Feedback and Hints
All question types allow you to include Feedback and Hints. Feedback enables you to provide added information as a basis for improving content comprehension. Hints are useful for suggesting how to approach a question.
Since self assessments are not graded and have no points value, you should provide feedback comments for each self assessment question. You can provide feedback at the end of a question or in some question types (such as multiple choice), you can provide feedback for each answer choice within the question. You can use feedback comments to indicate correct and incorrect answers, where a correct answer can be found in the course content, and what details instructors are looking for in an ideal answer.
Note: If you want students to see hints to questions, you must select the Hints option when you create the self assessment or from the Edit page.
How to Create a Self-Assessment
- Click the Self Assessments link from the Assessments menu on the navigation bar.
- Click New Self Assessment to create a new self assessment.
- Enter a Name.
- Select a Category from the drop-down list if you want to group your self assessment within an existing category. If you haven’t set up categories for your self assessments, click add category to create and name a new category.
- Select allow hints if you want students to access hints to questions.
- Click Expand page header/footer to add information or instructions to the top or bottom of the self assessment page. Change page header and footer visibility by selecting on or off.
- Click Save.
- Click Add/Edit Questions to add questions to the self assessment.
- Click Save and Close.
Note: You can edit all details for a self assessment after you create it by clicking the name of the self assessment on the Manage Self Assessments page.