The Class Progress tool tracks your learners’ overall progress as a course and individually.
You may want to use the Class Progress tool to do any of the following:
- Monitor progress for any or all users in your course
- Prepare progress reports
- View user profiles, email users, or instant message users
- Track when a user accesses the course and downloads course content
- Track a user’s grades, completion of learning objectives, access of content topics, participation in discussions, assignment submissions, quiz submissions, checklist completion, survey responses, login history, and system access.
- Set up intelligent Agents for learners who are falling behind in a course
- View feedback and submissions for assignments, discussion topics, and other assessments for individual learners
For content, the content must meet three criteria to be included in the learner’s progress:
- The learner must have access to the content
- The content must be marked with a completion method of Required Automatic or Required Manual
- The content is not exempt
When content does not meet these conditions, the topics are not included in the calculation of the learner’s progress.
Visual Tour of the Class Progress Tool
- You can filter class participants based on membership in groups or sections.
- Use the Class Progress navbar to sort the order in which users appear in the chart. By default, the following performance indicators appear from left to right in the navbar: Content Completed, Objectives, Logins, and Grades.
A maximum of 4 performance indicators can display at any time on the Class Progress page.
Available indicators include: Content Completed, Objectives, Assignment Submissions, Grades, Checklist Completion, Content Visited, Discussion Participation, Login History, Predicted Grade (for Student Success System users only), Quiz Performance, Survey completion, and System Access.
Note the following:
* Login History indicates when the learner logged into Brightspace, not the course. However, if the Brightspace Data Platform is enabled, Course Logins displays in each learner’s User Progress report, which reports on when they accessed the course.
* System Access indicates each time the learner accesses Brightspace using a browser, or launches the Pulse app. System access begins when the user logs in, launches the app, or returns after 30 minutes of inactivity. It ends after 30 minutes of inactivity.
* Absent period indicates the number of days since the learner last logged into Brightspace. For example, if “Oct 30, 3017 – absent period: 3” displays, the learner did not log in for 3 days, and an Oct 26 login displays below the Oct 30 login.
- All course participants appear in the chart. Their name, username, and Org Defined ID display alongside their profile picture, if supplied. Their performance results for the listed indicators also display in the chart. Clicking on any area of this chart brings you to the individual user’s User Progress page.
- To adjust which performance indicators are displayed and which order they are displayed in, click Settings. You can also search for users by typing in the Search users field.
Track course progress with the Class Progress tool
Track the time spent viewing content
Due to multiple browser configurations and use cases, tracking the time spent viewing content in Brightspace is a best estimate. For example, the following can contribute to inaccurate time tracking: running an aggressive ad-blocker, opening content in another browser tab, downloading the content/viewing it locally, or losing an internet connection while viewing content in a browser.
Tracking the time spent viewing content is useful as a diagnostic tool for an instructor to start a conversation with a learner; however, D2L does not recommend using it as an assessment tool. Consider the following example as a best practice for using time tracking as a diagnostic tool: A learner asks for help with a certain piece of content, and the instructor notices that the learner only viewed the content for 30 seconds. The instructor then advises the learner to review the content and come back with more specific questions about the parts of the content that were difficult to understand.
Access the Class Progress tool
You can access the Class Progress tool from the Course Tools drop-down menu.
Class Progress allows faculty to review learner progress across multiple metrics in one convenient dashboard. Faculty can:
- Access individual learner data.
- Select progress indicators for more detailed information.
- Hover over a learner’s thumbnail to communicate through email or instant message.
View an individual learner’s performance data
To view all ten metric categories in the Progress Summary for a specific learner, click the learner’s name next to their profile thumbnail or click the specific metric category.
Back to top of page
To contact a learner directly from Class Progress, hover over the learner’s profile image and click Send Email or Send Instant Message.
Change and reorder Main Indicators in Class Progress
Track learner progress and identify trends in their learning using main indicators in the Class Progress tool.
To modify main indicators in Class Progress
- Navigate to Class Progress.
- On the Class Progress page, click Settings.
- From the drop-down menu of the indicator you want to replace, select Replace.
- In the Select Progress Indicator dialog box, click on the indicator that you want to use as a replacement. To replace additional progress indicators, repeat the previous steps.
- From the drop-down menu of a progress indicator, select Move Up or Move Down to rearrange the order that it appears in Class Progress.
- Click Save and Close.
Class Progress Details
Detailed progress reports are available for the following progress indicators: Summary, Grades, Standards, Objectives, Content, Discussions, Assignments, Quizzes, Checklists, Surveys, Login History, and System Access History.
To view a more detailed reports on class progress
- Navigate to Class Progress.
- On the Class Progress page, click on a students name.
- Click a menu item to review the following items:
- Grades: Displays all graded items in the course with feedback.
- Content: Shows all the content available for the course. This tab also shows Topics Visited, Total Visits, Time Spent, and Completed Topics. Each module has a progress bar that displays completion levelz. You can expand each module to see which topics the students have and haven’t completed.
- Discussions: Displays all discussions for the course and Read Posts, Threads Created, and Replies Posted.
- Assignments: Displays all the assignments.
- Quizzes: Displays all available quizzes for the course. You can see attempts and attempt feedback on this tab.
- Checklist: Displays all the activity checklists in the course. This allows you to view Completed Checklists and Completed Checklist Items.
- Survey: Displays all surveys created within Brightspace.
- Note: If the survey was created using a different platform, it will not be displayed here.
- Login History/Course Access: Displays # Days Visited (Last 30 Days) and Last Accessed day for the course.
- View the current Calculated Final Grade of all graded items in the course.
- Click the Expand icon to view details of progress within each category. Alternatively, click on the tabs for each category below the Summary tab.