Accessible Learning Environments
How do academic accommodations make the learning environment more accessible?
- Academic accommodations allow students with disabilities to have equal access to the same learning environment as their peers.
- Academic accommodations help to create a state of equality among students.
How does Universal Design for Learning make the learning environment more accessible to students with disabilities?
- UDL principles allow for built-in accessibility – providing multiple options for sharing content, engaging with course material, and demonstrating knowledge may reduce the need for certain accommodations.
- If a lecture is recorded, a student may not need to request a notetaking accommodation
- If a video presentation is an option for a written exam, a student may not need to request exam accommodations to demonstrate their knowledge
- Accessibility may be achieved in advance – before students start the course
Questions? We are here to help by email, phone, Teams, or Zoom!