Remember, if you’re having issues in a Brightspace course, always contact your instructor first. This is important not only so that they can help us figure out the issue on your behalf, but also so that they know you’re having a problem that might cause delays.
Is the answer to your question not here? Questions are added to our FAQ if they are asked often. Use the Help Form to ask a question or make a suggestion.
Why can't I see my registered courses?
You can access your Brightspace courses by clicking on the Brightspace link at https://langara.ca/login/, using your Langara email and password. That login takes you straight to your Brightspace Home page, where you should see your courses listed in the main area on the page on the My Courses widget. You can also click on the waffle icon in the navigation bar to see all of your courses, and click the pin icon to pin courses to your Brightspace Home page. For a video demo, click here.
- Two conditions must be met for you to be able to see a course in which you are registered:
- The course must have started. For Regular Studies, this will be the first day of the semester. For Continuing Studies courses, this will be the first day of classes.
- Your course must be activated by your instructor. If the course has started, and you cannot see it in Brightspace, please contact your instructor first and ask them to make sure they have set the course to Active.
- Please note that it can take up to 24 hours after a new registration for a Brightspace course to become available to students. If it has been 24 hours and you still cannot see your course, please contact your instructor.
How do I find my login ID?
See IT Helpdesk’s Student Accounts page for information on locating your login ID.
My Brightspace quiz is frozen! Help!
In the middle of a quiz or exam on Brightspace and something has gone wrong? See Tips for Writing Online Exams for more details on what to do.
Why aren't videos loading in Brightspace?
When do I lose access to my Brightspace courses/can I access old courses?
Students gain access to their Brightspace courses on the first day of the semester, and not before. Access to a course is generally terminated one week after the conclusion of that semester’s final exams. As a rule, there is no student access to completed courses, except under extraordinary circumstances such as a grade challenge or a course extension, like in co-op or a practicum.
What are the preferred browser(s) for Brightspace?
Most versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari work with few issues.
We do not recommend any version of Internet Explorer.
Is Brightspace down?
Any ongoing issues with any major system (such as Brightspace) will be noted in a red notification bar at the top of this site. If there is no red bar visible, it’s safe to assume we haven’t had any major issues reported.
If you’re experiencing any issues we don’t know about, report them to the IT Helpdesk.
I'm experiencing missing boxes, buttons, or images in the interface of Brightspace or myLangara.
Sometimes browsers will introduce updates to their own software that makes certain websites behave strangely. If you’re on any web-based interface (e.g. Brightspace, MediaSpace, myLangara, CourseWeb) and buttons, boxes, or other page elements have disappeared or aren’t working as they should, it’s most likely an issue with your browser not loading (or rendering) the site correctly. Try reloading the page, closing your browser and re-opening it, or repeating the activity in another browser.
I'm having problems with my iClicker.
Most problems with iClickers are problems with registration, either because the device is already registered to someone else, or because your browser is, for whatever reason, having trouble submitting the information. Your first solution is always “try a different browser.” If that doesn’t work, ask your instructor for assistance, or the retailer from which you purchased your iClicker.
How do I fix the 3rd-party cookies problem in MediaSpace?
Google Chrome or Safari users may sometimes see an error message when accessing My Media, particularly when accessing it via My Tools > My Media in Brightspace. The message typically reads something like: “It seems your browser is blocking 3rd party session cookies which are required for the Kaltura application. To resolve this issue, please update your settings to allow 3rd party cookies.”
This issue can usually be resolved by updating your browser to the latest version. If not, follow the instructions below to fix this issue.
In Google Chrome
- Open a new tab in your browser window and type chrome://settings
- Click Privacy and Security
- Click on Site Settings
- Click on Cookies and site data
- On this page, you’ll find two ways to enable 3rd-party cookies:
- Toggle the Block Third-Party Cookies option
- Go to Allow and add (separately) [*]Kaltura.com, [*]langara.ca, [*]langara.bc.ca, and [*]ubc.ca
- Toggle the Block Third-Party Cookies option
- In Safari, click Safari on the top left side of your window
- Click Preferences
- Click Privacy
- Uncheck the box called “Prevent cross-site tracking”
- Refresh or revisit your My Media library – it should now load without errors
- Go back to Preferences and check the box called “Prevent cross-site tracking”
- Close your Preferences window