Langara’s EdTech department provides expertise, support, and guidance in a wide range of learning tools and technologies. To clarify our support structure, we have categorized these into four levels: Level 1: core, supported technologies, Level 2: advised-on technologies, Level 3: recognized technologies, and Level 4: technologies in the pilot phase.
Level 1: Core, Supported Technologies
Core technologies are those that EdTech administers, controls, and supports as part of our core business. Support for core technologies includes:
- Providing full support to faculty and instructional staff using these technologies
- Offering a comprehensive faculty and instructional staff development and troubleshooting service
- Collecting statistics regarding use
- Ensuring that their setup complies with legal requirements (i.e. FIPPA and PIPA) and institutional policies (i.e. retention, backup, risk management)
EdTech’s core, supported technologies are currently:
- Brightspace by D2L (the college’s Learning Management System)
- Zoom (live video/web conferencing)
- Kaltura MediaSpace (streaming media platform)
- Kaltura Capture (screen capture app)
- iWeb/Courseweb (WordPress blogging and content management platform)
- Turnitin (academic integrity software)
- EquatIO (math and science notation input editor for Brightspace, Word, and PowerPoint)
- Padlet (digital bulletin board)
- H5P (interactive content creation tool)
Level 2: Advised-On Technologies
EdTech faculty and staff have expertise with a range of apps, software, and cloud tools which have the potential to enrich learning and teaching. However, we do not necessarily have administration rights or control over these tools, and they are not part of our core business. Support for these tools predominantly consists of advising on effective pedagogical practice in embedding them in learning and teaching activities. Where troubleshooting or technical support is required, please be aware that it may take us longer to respond as we prioritize our Level 1 technologies.
Users must ensure that their use of ‘advised-on’ technologies complies with legal requirements (i.e. FIPPA, PIPA, data protection, copyright) and institutional policies.
EdTech’s advised-on technologies include:
- Pressbooks (a free to use open textbook publishing platform based on WordPress)
- Screencast-O-Matic (screen capture software: currently we have 50 ‘Team Deluxe’ licenses per month available)
- Mattermost (instant chat software provided through OpenETC https://opened.ca)
- Audacity (a free, open-source audio editor)
- PeerMark (a peer review assignment tool integrated with Brightspace)
Level 3: Recognized Educational Technologies
Recognized technologies are used in many educational institutions to enhance learning and teaching. EdTech does not offer any formal support or licensing of these tools so be prepared to seek out licenses and online support yourself; however, faculty and staff may be able to offer some advice.
Users must ensure that their use of ‘recognized’ technologies complies with legal requirements (i.e. FIPPA, PIPA, data protection, copyright) and institutional policies.
Ed Tech’s recognized technologies include:
- Explain Everything (interactive whiteboard app)
- Camtasia (screen recorder and video editor)
- Videoscribe (whiteboard animation tool)
- Pixton (cartoon creator)
- Annotation Studio (a suite of collaborative web-based annotation tools developed by MIT)
- Perussall (social e-reader)
- Hypothesis (social annotation)
- iClicker Cloud (student response system)
- Socrative (quizzing and polling app)
- Kahoot (game-based learning app)
- Poll Everywhere (quizzing and polling app)
- GarageBand (free audio editor for Mac and iOS)
- Anchor.fm (free podcasting platform)
- Prezi (online presentation tool)
Technologies in the Pilot Phase
Before EdTech adopts a tool as a core supported technology it must go through a pilot process. The following technologies are currently in the pilot phase:
- PebblePad (ePortfolio Platform for Students)
To connect with us about a tool or technology, visit our Hours page for contact information.